Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Fringe or not?















I recently finished a shawl, one made from a variety of yarns and scrap pieces. It was fun to knit and pray for the future receipent as I did not knit it with anyone in particular in mind. It was an idea that came to me, a shawl of many colors. Anyway, as I finished it up I came to a few conclusions.

1. It is a shawl for someone of "presence" as it is colorful and will draw attention, not for the shy wallflower.

2. I think it is best for someone of larger stature than I.

3. It is beautiful yet I kept thinking that it needed something. Today I discovered that there were still some unfinished balls of yarn in the yarn basket leftover from the project so the Magic Schoolbus book became the standard as I wound it full of yarn, snipped and began to fringe the shawl.

4. Fringe unifies a project where there is great variety of color and texture. The fringe brings an "uneven" end to this linear piece, thus softening it and also unifying the ends as they meet.

So, for whoever is the future receipient, fringe it will be, on this one. I realize that not all pieces will be improved with fringe but I believe that this one has been.

No comments:

Post a Comment