Tuesday, June 15, 2010

old machines

I love my pfaff machines- both blessings from my bear, both unexpected indulges for me the busy sewer in the family. My first was his protest to my purchase of a used Pfaff years ago after my faithful JC Penny machine bit the dust under the children's useage. Little did I realize how wonderful that Pfaff was- it is my workhorse that I return again and again. My daughter looks for it to be passed to her, I think I have told her to not hold her breath, but maybe one day. :)

A few months ago while in a local shop I spied a wooden cased Singer for $15, I looked it over and thought it needed to leave the shop, so it did. I spent a little bit of time on its case and then began to rewire it, fearful to even plug it in the wiring was so worn. Lesson learned- make pictures before taking wires apart. My husband came to my rescue yet still needs information to complete the rewire.

Memorial Day weekend as we traipsed through the Dog Days Flea Market another Singer sang out. For $20 this one joined its grandchild. Having researched them both- one was made in 1923, the other 1942. Both are 99 machines, one shiny black with pretty gold filagree, the other, made in wartime a dull patterned metal. Both stitch a nice straight seam, each have their own particular variations. The older machine has a bar in place of a foot pedal- a neat feature.

Today I spent time oiling the machines and getting to know them a bit better. At first both ran a bit sluggish, yet after a good dose of oil they purred. Where a bobbin cover would not fit at first with a bit of attention it is now covered.

When I bought them I did not know their purpose or destiny, now I do. The 1923 will be gifted to a friend tomorrow. She wants to sew, has bugged her mom to sew. She loves all things old and they live in a log cabin. I think the machine will be happy there, journeying with my friend Elizabeth as she begins to stitch. I was tickled to see that Elizabeth will receive a machine that came from Elizabeth, NJ.

The other machine I am choosing to adapt to hand crank style. Today as I hand cranked the machine without an attached motor I found it enjoyable and thought of how it would be to make a quilt on such a machine, so I shall. I still have the motor should I want to revert it again to electric motor. It will also be helpful due to its slower pace when I teach children to sew.

As I spend time with older machines I am finding a greater appreciation for the folks who invented the sewing machine. For the workmanship that spans almost 100 years - and the machine still going strong. I am thankful for the modern machine, but also for the simple straight stitch machines.

No comments:

Post a Comment