Monday, June 28, 2010

The pause that refreshes



After a intense time of quilting I find that I often need to pause and take a breather from stitching for a while. I am in such a season. I recently finished up a quilt and now find that i am not drawn to my machine and cloth.

I had not made a quilt for myself in a long time, until recently. I chose the fabrics for this quilt from a favorite skirt that had "shrunk" as the 40's continued on. It is linen and having read of using linen for quilting I saved it for 'one day". A few weeks ago i found some linen curtains that helped me to begin. For two weeks I worked at piecing and then free motion quilting the quilt, and eventually I finished. This one was me- flowers, colors and nature all combined.

I have found that the linen reminds me of the older quilts- a bit rough and very natural feeling- kind of nice, kind of rustic. I have yet to throw this one in the dryer, and I wonder if that will soften it at all, I am hoping so. Still I love to snuggle under MY quilt and enjoy the beauty of it.

I am thinking that my pause will soon end, for I have fabric to cut out and summer vacation is passing all too soon. My hope is to finish the quilt top I am wanting to make for my daughter before school starts in the fall- ok maybe by christmas is more realistic. Until then i will enjoy my new quilt and the pause that refreshes.

No comments:

Post a Comment