Wednesday, September 15, 2010

from thought to reality

A few months ago while cleaning my closet of beloved but no longer fitting clothes I thought to upcycle the linen skirts.  I have now completed that thought by completing the quilts. 

Ths first turned out to be a nature based quilt that i quilted with leaves and nature motifs as I meandered through the blocks.  It was great practice for my machine quilting.  I loved the quilt and called it my own- a rare treat to myself as most quilts are gifted away.  The second quilt, which I have posted about before, took longer to come together.  I debated about the fabric as what inspired me was not great fabric, yet searching brought no color solution so I went with it.  I have now completed the quilt, washed it and it washed up fine.  This one was admired from the start by a dear daughter of the heart.  She has graduated college and is in the midst of launching into life.  It will warm her heart and home as she walks by faith into adult life and the adventure that awaits her there.

Again I chose nature as the inspiration for the free motion quilting of this pieces.  I chose lighter thread as there is fabric with white patterning and it is reflective of that pattern of leaves that inspired me.  I was uncertain at first if the tan thread would be overwhelming overall yet upon completion I am thinking that it works.



original plan       




So from skirt to beloved quilt the fabric of inspiration has traveled.  Now I am daily enjoying the patterns that I chose to wrap myself in ...during thinner days... and now they will again bring joy as we surround ourselves with the natural beauty that they have become.  


completed qult







1 comment: