Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Found treasures




p
July is off and running and I am just realizing it is almost half done... my how the summer is flying by. not nearly enough quiliting is going on...my goals are not coming to pass- too many distractions and this week I picked up a few more.

I happened to be in town, happened to think of a favorite thrift shop and stopped in. Among the many items found were these three patchwork quilt tops. All in fairly good condition- a few seam repairs and only two areas that will need fabric replaced on one. They were half price and crying to go home so they could become real quilts. How could any self respecting quilter leave these orphans to hang "naked"among so many completed blankets and linens. And so I adopted them.

This is a first for me.. and so I move forward carefully. I am not typically a vinatge quilter kind of person, but to have a twin size top completed and just needing to be sandwiched and quilted sounded like an easy enough task. it will also allow me time and place to play with some new free motion designs- a blending of the old and new. i dont know the history to the pieces but each top was pleasing enough to say yes to rehoming it.

Yesterday I puchased a creamy yellow fabric for backing. At first i thought I would use muslin, but decided a hue would be more appropriate. I expect I will bind them with black as all have a bit of black in the patchwork. today I hope to preshrink the backing fabric and by the weekend get them at least layered and one pinned. then the fun shall begin!



An update on my most recent project- the housewarming quilt. It is now pieced and layered. I am needing to get inspiration for the quilting of it. I have been busy with other life and with weariness comes no inspiration... hoping next week will be a few quilting days then i will post the finished image. I am thinking circles to intersect and soften the squares- kind of contrast.... but not sure yet.

thanks for checking in... would love to hear what your fingers are busy with these days.

1 comment:

  1. i am by no means a quilter but i like the idea of the circles contrasting the hard lines of the squares.

    ReplyDelete