Friday, January 15, 2010

The begining of my quilting



As I begin this blog it seems fitting to post my first quilt... this is the one that began this season of stitching, this journey into fiber and love affair with mixing colors, pattern and shape.

My friend Laura took me under her wing and explained the basics, slowing me down to learn good form and technique which I am not sure I have continued with but I was given a good start. This quilt was a slow build, over weeks and months in the midst of life in NC. It came to AL yet to be finished and one day discovered. She graciously sent me the book and I completed it, hunting down how-to's since I did not have her beside me.

Since then I have tried many simple patterns and am continuing to slowly challenge myself with new processes. My goal once was to finish the book of wall quilts she sent me, I think I have lost track of that quilting path but I have worked through several basic ones.

I went on to make some log cabin quilts, a few nine patches that barely resemble the calm white and yellow and blue in the book. Realizing that small changes can make a big difference in the outcome of the patterning and look of the final product began to help me to move away from "matching" and into exploring more what different color combinations could do. Some have been winners, some not so great, all learning experiences.

No comments:

Post a Comment