Sunday, January 17, 2010

Custom shelf cover



I lived with an ugly shelf top for a few years, then one day it occurred to me that I could cover it with a custom quit. It would be thin enough to not cause a problem with the tile, add color and interst and would be washable.

To make this I first took paper and traced the shape that the final quilt would need to be. I then considered what I wanted each side to have on them. The first one was the quilt block embeded in the field of green- I made the block and then added fabric all around, allowing lots of extra to allow for trimming back. the second one I took a cup and drew the circular base (green) for the half circle. I then cut it out of the planning sheet. I then folded the paper on itself until I could not fold it any longer. I then cut out one of the panels, added 1/2" to the sides and used that as a pattern for the design. After cutting out the fabric, I sewed them together and added the half circle (green).

After sandwiching the quilt tops and quilting I cut out the piece to final sizing, and then bound with bias cut binding. Once it was complete I sprayed it with Scottguard to protect its finish.

It now makes a pretty end to the countertop!

No comments:

Post a Comment