Friday, January 15, 2010

Modern Coins


This spring I received a wedding invitation from my daughters childhood friend. When did she grow up? How could she be ready to wed when my daughter is still in the midst of transitioning to womanhood? They are on different tracks, some meander down paths in life, others race and some start, stop, pause and then find their speed. Each is individual to the individual.

This quilt was inspired by a quilt along I stumbled upon while cruising the web. Most I saw posted had colorful borders and dividers. I did not know Alex well but I well remember her favorite teen color- Black. That quickly was chosen for the major color and all the other colors came by way of the scrap bins and what other fabric I had that I thought might suit them. Her family always has had animals so a few animal prints were included as well.

After cutting and piecing the coins I assembled the quilt and then decided to use specialty stitching from my new Pfaff machine to outline the coins. Across each was a fun stitch and around each row of coins I used a theme in keeping with thread color. For blue varigated thread I used snow pattern and waves like oceans. I used a pink varigated thread to stitch many different flower patterns. The blue/red thread was the nod to modern designs and the more linear side of life with geometric patterns. Green was used for branch and leaf patterns. yellow/brown thread was used in stitching sun patterns.

The quilt was backed with a modern black and white block fabric with a hint of gold. this was a good contrast when used in the binding and brought brightness amidst the dark colors.

This was an experimental kind of quilt but the end result was quite pleasing. It was fun to expore mixing many fabrics and seeing them blend together and top it all with fun little patterns that keep the user looking for changes and what comes next in the line of stitching. It is kind of a mix of crazy quilt and coin quilt, hmmm maybe it is a crazy coin quilt.

Hope you enjoy considering how you might add some "craziness" to one of your future quilts.

No comments:

Post a Comment