Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Just what I needed to meet my need!


I was browsing favorite blogs (www.ohfransson.com) recently when I clicked on the "small projects" link. Up popped pictures and I found the answer to my gapping door issue.

We have an old jelly cupboard - found at a yard sale, lovingly moved and with its age, it has shifted out of square, or more out of square than origianlly. It may not help that my floor is not level or that it is loaded with books and games. It is the offical "school cupboard"- where all my homeschooling and games are held. Most often it has greeted any who enter the house with a wide open door, as it no longer latches.

My answer was found though in this post.
http://www.ohfransson.com/oh_fransson/2007/10/my-first-tutori.html
A pattern for a quilted door stop- it was fun, functional and looked like it was within my skill set to construct. I started to gather materials and this weekend I made two! My door now has a helper to keep it closed, the world no longer has to look at the mess within.

Elizabeth Hartman does a great job walking folks through the process step by step in her tutorial. I was a bit concerned as I did not have heavy weight wool or denim for the backing/ trim but the quilted cotton seems to be strong enough for the weight of the beans within. I think I will be fine as long as a visiting child does ot decide to open the zipper that allows the beans to escape for a toss in the wash should the stop get dirty. One never knows with 2 or 3yr olds... will keep my eye out for that distraction!

So I am pleased with my newest creation- it has met my need and is pretty too!

No comments:

Post a Comment