Thursday, January 14, 2010

Layered square quilt



Trying new things can be fun and can be challenging. I am still fairly new to quilting. My philosophy has been that volume sewing will help build skills. Or to say it a bit different the more I sew, the more I will learn and know what I like, what works, and what I will choose to not invest time in.

I used fabric from the stash that I didn't have other plans for and thought that together they might make a fun kids quilt. As I began I found that more variety of color and more fabric was needed than what I had picked out. So in came solid colors and then the bright yellow to lighten things up a bit.

As I began to stack sqares I was excited, then the piecing began and I had doubts of my outcome, but in the end after the final wash I am quite pleased with the outcome. It is thick- layering of fabric, batting and backing make it so, but it will also be quite warm. The fraying edges of the top squares caused a bit of concern with loose threads and little fingers, but I have expressed concern to the future receipent, along with my dh’s comment of “the sky is falling”- he sees no problem with little fingers and threads being wrapped tightly about them.

The backing fabric I extended with scraps and added a few random squares for interest. They are sure to keep a baby's interest as he/she lay and look at all the bright color.

So, for a new project it was a quick sew, a bright end and some lessons learned along the way- next time I will use ½” margins when sewing blocks to one another. I may use this pattern over again if I want a quick lapquilt. I think I would enjoy making it in a soft plaid and solid flannel- cozy and comfy with a bit of fringe as it is washed and loved!

1 comment:

  1. Wow! this is a great quilt! Love the raw edge finish and I don't think it would fray so much to be a safety issue and I think a baby would find the "feel" of the raw edge interesting. I have a similar pattern using circles of varying sizes layered on top of each other and finished raw edge fashion. Always wanted to make it but, like you, was a little concerned about the end result! Now I might just get it out and have a go!
    Happy Sewing!

    ReplyDelete